***EDITOR'S NOTE: Be sure to check out our baby diaper giveaway sets for a diapers gift set for that next shower. Otherwise, please enjoy this post!
What is an elephant diaper cake?
What do you need to have on hand if you want to make one?
Does this make a good gift for a baby shower?
An elephant diaper cake is a diaper cake that is shaped like an elephant. The trunk of the elephant is made up of diapers, as is the head and body. Even the elephant’s legs are diapers! The whole project is finished off with a baby blanket and pacifier to make it even more useful as a gift for a parent-to-be.
If you want to make a baby diaper cake that is shaped like an elephant, you’ll need diapers and rubber bands as well as other baby-friendly gift items. You may also want to assemble a collection of some craft gear before you begin.
In this article, we’ll show you everything you need to know about how to make an elephant diaper cake for a baby shower or a newborn. You’ll find a thorough list of materials you need as well as a convenient step-by-step guide to make the project go that much easier.
It’s simple to put together a diaper cake shaped like an elephant, even if you don’t have a lot of prior craft experience. Take your time looking through the instructions to be sure you understand the steps, and gather your materials beforehand.
With the right preparation, you can make an elephant diaper cake, which is an excellent present for any baby shower!
Read on to learn how to make an elephant diaper cake.
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
- 32 newborn diapers
- Rubber bands of multiple sizes—clear is best
- Newborn blanket
- 2 buttons
- 2 bibs
- Craft wire
- Elmer’s glue
- Note: Choose diapers, a pacifier, a blanket, bibs, and ribbons that all either match or complement each other. You may also want to go with solid white for everything to make matching even easier!
- Note: You should not use tape or glue on most of this project, or you will ruin the diapers. There are only a few steps that involve the use of tape or glue, and only one diaper will be unable to be used by the parent-to-be.
1. Start by rolling 8 diapers tightly into long tubes. Secure each diaper firmly with a rubber band, overlapping the rubber band if necessary.
2. Separate the 8 diapers into two sets of four.
3. Stack four rolled diapers together to create somewhat of a circle. Secure this with additional rubber bands.
4. Repeat for the other four diapers.
***GET INSPIRED: Find fantastic diapers gift ideas for that next shower in our top baby shower ideas for diaper gifts collection.
5. Roll a total of 18 diapers and secure each rolled diaper with a rubber band.
6. Create a circle with 9 diapers and hold them together with a large rubber band.
7. Repeat this process with the other 9 rolled diapers.
8. Lay the sets of 9 diapers on their sides longways. Place them together and attach them to each other with more rubber bands.
9. Open two diapers and lay them on top of each other.
10. Roll one diaper and secure it with a rubber band. Set it on one end of the opened diapers.
11. Fold the two opened diapers around the third rolled one and fix it in place with a rubber band. You may need to adjust as you go to create a trunk shape out of these three diapers. Leave one end open.
12. Place the open end of the diaper “trunk” against the combined 18 diapers you have used to form the elephant’s body. Flatten the open end of the diapers as needed and make adjustments to create the head shape of the elephant.
13. Fix the head in place with more rubber bands.
14. Cut a length of wire that is long enough to go around the edge of one of your bibs. Repeat this process for the other bib.
15. Tape the wire to the inside of each bib to give it more shape. Shape the bibs into elephant ear shapes.
***NEED A GIFT BASKET? Get the best diapers gift basket for your next baby shower in our diapers giving baskets list.
16. Position the two bibs on either side of the elephant’s head using the bibs’ fasteners.
17. Wrap a newborn blanket around the bundle of 18 diapers forming the elephant’s body and tape to secure. Do not tape the blanket to the diapers!
18. Wrap a ribbon around the blanket and tape it to hold the blanket more firmly in place.
19. Shape the ears, head, and trunk until they are just right.
20. Place a pacifier into the back of the elephant diaper body to create a tail.
21. Glue buttons onto the head of the elephant for eyes. Note that this will likely ruin one diaper, but should leave the others usable.
22. Place the elephant you have just constructed on top of the two groups of four diapers you rolled in the first few steps. These will create the elephant’s legs.
23. You may choose to tape or rubber band the legs in place, but you don’t have to. If the elephant’s body sits securely enough on the legs, you can allow the recipient of this gift to be able to use more of the diapers by staying away from any more tape or glue throughout the project.
24. Congratulations! You have just completed an elephant diaper cake for your next baby shower gift.
Did you learn something useful about making an elephant diaper cake? These fun and whimsical gifts are perfect for baby showers and diaper parties, and they can also be a nice present to surprise a new mom or dad with, too.
Of course, there are some considerations to keep in mind when you’re making a diaper cake. After all, these diapers are going to be used by actual babies, so it’s important to make sure everything you work with stays as clean and safe as possible. There are some steps you can take to ensure this.
Here are a few tips for keeping your diaper cake clean and safe for use by babies later on:
- Do not use safety pins, staples, or any other sharp fixtures. These can get lost in the diapers and end up hurting the baby.
- Do not use tape or glue unless you absolutely must. Tape and glue are not safe for newborn babies to be exposed to, so parents-to-be will have to throw out any diapers that have either of these attached to them.
- Always assemble your diaper cake in a clean environment. Do not put it together on the same kitchen counter where you cut up raw meat, for example!
- Keep pets and pet hair away from your diaper cake. Newborns should not be exposed to pet dander for some time, so it’s crucial to keep pet hair out of diaper cakes for newborns, too.
- Do not use materials with any harsh chemicals or dyes, and do not spray the diaper cake with any fragrances.
With this information, you can much more easily provide a healthy, safe, and convenient diaper cake that works well for new parents and won’t harm new babies. Put together an elephant diaper cake using the instructions in the article above and get ready to surprise and delight all your friends!