***EDITOR'S NOTE: Be sure to check out our baby diaper giveaway sets for a diapers gift set for that next shower. Otherwise, please enjoy this post!
What is a diaper bouquet?
Should you buy one or make one?
Where would you normally find this type of item?
A diaper bouquet is a handmade craft item that is made to look like a bouquet of flowers. Instead of real, fresh flowers however, it is made up of rolled baby diapers. This makes the bouquet functional, whimsical, and an excellent option for a variety of situations.
You can buy a diaper bouquet made by another crafter, but it’s very easy to make one yourself. You don’t have to be too complicated with your diaper bouquet, but you can be as creative and unique as your imagination and budget will allow, so spend some time thinking about your design.
If you do choose to make your own diaper bouquet, you can usually complete this task within an hour or two. It doesn’t take long, but the end result is a high-quality gift any mom-to-be is sure to love and appreciate when she receives it.
Most of the time, diaper bouquets are given as gifts at baby showers. They may also be sent to the hospital for a new mom after she has just given birth in some instances. Any mom or mom-to-be can find a use for a diaper bouquet!
In this article, we will walk you through the basic steps required to complete this fun and simple project. Read through the list of materials needed and the how-to guide, then gather everything you need and get ready to start creating. You’re sure to be satisfied with the results when you follow our handy guide.
Read on to find out more about how to make a diaper bouquet.
Materials and Equipment Needed
In this section, we’ll show you some of the basic materials you will need to complete this project. Keep in mind that you may be able to use other types of items to serve the same purpose. Don’t be afraid to get a little creative with this!
It’s a good idea to stick with solid-color diapers for this. If the diapers have a small picture or print that can be hidden by rolling them up, this may work too.
Glass or plastic vase
Choose any vase you like. Pick something the mom-to-be will want to use in the future, too!
Styrofoam or regular foam florist ball
Styrofoam works better for this but is not an eco-friendly solution. Other more natural options include glass beads and paper shavings placed in the vase.
Any sharp skewer will work!
***GET INSPIRED: Find fantastic diapers gift ideas for that next shower in our top baby shower ideas for diaper gifts collection.
Choose tissue paper in colors that are suitable for the mom-to-be. You may want to stick with traditional pinks and blues, but don’t be afraid to try greens, yellows, purples, or all white for a very classy look.
Choose ribbon that either matches or complements the colors of tissue paper you’ve chosen.
These should be big enough that the skewers you’ve chosen will fit inside them. Most traditional paper straws will work. Don’t use plastic straws, as they are not eco-friendly and also don’t look as nice!
Any rubber band will do, but you can choose colorful ones if you prefer.
Scissors of any kind will work, as they will only be cutting ribbon and tissue paper.
Step by Step Instructions
Now that you’ve had a chance to gather the items you’ll need to complete your task, you can get started working on it. Follow these steps to create the perfect baby diaper bouquet in just a short time, and you’re sure to be pleased with the results!
1. Begin by taking the Styrofoam ball and wrapping it tightly in the tissue paper color of your choice. This will become the center of the “bouquet” and will be visible through the vase, so take your time making it look nice.
2. Stuff more tissue paper down into the bottom of the vase. Choose the same color or opt for a complementary color, depending on your preference.
3. Stuff the paper-wrapped Styrofoam ball down into the vase, making sure it still sits close enough to the top of the vase so you can reach it easily.
4. Roll your first diaper. To do this, lay the diaper flat on the table so that it is longer vertically than it is horizontally. Roll the diaper upward, starting from the bottom, to form a tight spiral.
5. Secure the diaper with a rubber band, pushing it down closer to one end than the other.
***NEED A GIFT BASKET? Get the best diapers gift basket for your next baby shower in our diapers giving baskets list.
6. Push a bamboo skewer into a paper straw, making sure to leave an inch or two of the sharp end of the skewer sticking out one end.
7. Push the other end of the straw and skewer combination into the center of the diaper. This will form the “stem” of the diaper “flower.”
8. Push the sharp end of the skewer that is sticking out from the paper straw into the Styrofoam ball that is inside your vase.
9. Adjust the straw and skewer so that the straw is visible but the skewer and its sharp ends are not.
10. Repeat this process until you have rolled up all the diapers from the package and made “flowers” out of them all.
11. Use more tissue paper to stuff in between the diaper flowers to fill the empty space in the bouquet.
12. Finish the bouquet with a ribbon tied around the vase. You may also choose to tie individual, smaller ribbons around the flowers themselves.
13. Note: Remember not to attach anything to the diapers that might cause damage to them when removed. For example, do not use hot glue, as this will cause the diapers to pull apart or develop holes when it is removed.
14. Note: You may also choose to purchase small newborn-safe toys, clothes, shoes, or socks to stick in between the diaper flowers instead. This can be a fun way to add onto your gift even more, but make sure to choose items that are appropriate for very young babies to use!
Did you learn everything you wanted to know about making a diaper bouquet? These fun gifts are perfect for baby showers or new baby arrivals, but they can even be a nice gift for a mom on mother’s day if she still has a little one in diapers, too.
Diaper bouquets are known for being inexpensive gifts to give, but how much money should you expect to spend on a diaper bouquet, really? You can find most of the items needed for this project at dollar item stores, and the diapers are usually the most expensive part. Expect to pay for the cost of a small package of diapers plus accessories and a vase; a good rule of thumb is to budget up to $50 for this project, but know that it may cost less.
In terms of both its cost and its functionality, a diaper bouquet is a great gift to give any mom or future mom. It can also be a fun way to get more hands-on with your gift-giving, so don’t hestitate to try one for yourself!