What is an overnight diaper?
How do the best nighttime diapers differ from those meant for daytime use?
What makes a diaper better for night?
An overnight diaper is a type of baby diaper that is designed to be more absorbent and leak-proof than daytime options. They are usually thicker and may be bulkier, but they are meant to stop bedwetting by holding in messes until you can change your child.
The best night diapers on the market are ultra-absorbent and comfortable enough for your child to sleep in. They shouldn’t restrict movement, but they should also hold in leaks completely.
In this article, we’ll show you some of the best overnight diapers. Some of these are for younger babies and some are for older toddlers who may be potty training. Each option is a high-quality product that can help you solve your bedwetting issues with your little one.
Read on to find the best overnight diaper for your baby.
- Our Top Pick: Goodnites Nighttime Bedwetting Underwear
- Colorful Designs Kids Love: Seventh Generation Free & Clear Overnight Baby Diapers
- Popular Choice: Huggies OverNites Diapers
- Plant-Based And Sustainable: Honest Overnight Baby Diapers
Our Choice Recommendation: Goodnites Nighttime Bedwetting Underwear
- Disposable bedwetting underwear fits children 43-68 lb. (20-31 kg)
- Nighttime bed wetting pants with 40% more protection than the leading training pant, plus discreet odor absorption...
- 5 Layer Protection with extra absorbency and reinforced Double Leg Barriers to help prevent leaks
The Goodnites Nighttime Bedwetting Underwear come in sizes including extra-small, small, large, and extra-large. These night pants are designed for toddlers and older kids with bedwetting issues and feature superhero prints that make them more appealing to wear. These pants feature odor absorbing cores that give your child more confidence and cut back on worries while sleeping.
- These night pants have a stretchy waistband that makes them easy for kids to feel comfortable in.
- The pants include five absorbing layers and double reinforced leg elastics.
- These night pants may not hold up well to very active kids.
- The sides may split while putting these night pants on a child.
Option #2. Seventh Generation Free & Clear Overnight Baby Diapers
- Weight Recommendation: 22 to 32 Pounds. Premium, extra absorbency- For peaceful nights, great for travel
- Free of chlorine processing
- Free of Fragrances and Latex
The Seventh Generation Free & Clear Overnight Baby Diapers come in a size four and in a package of 24 diapers. They are built to be extra absorbent for nighttime use and feature a design that works well for just about any baby. These diapers are made of non-toxic materials for skin sensitivities.
- The diapers do not contain lotions, fragrances, or chlorine.
- These diapers feature colorful designs that make them more exciting for kids to wear at bedtime.
- The diapers may be too thin for some overnight use and may contribute to leaks.
- Some customers report their babies being more prone to diaper rash with these diapers, although this result isn’t a common one.
Option #3. Huggies OverNites Diapers
- Huggies' Most Absorbent Diaper – Help baby get a full night's sleep with an overnight diaper that has extra...
- DryTouch Liner – Baby diapers quickly absorb moisture & provide up to 12 hours of nighttime leak protection
- Nighttime Diapers Designed for Comfort – Contoured shape plus SnugFit Waistband & Double Grip Strips provide a...
The Huggies OverNites Diapers are built to be extra absorbent and to last for up to 12 hours. They come in sizes from 3 through 6 and are one of the most popular and well-known overnight diapers on the market. These diapers feature double protection against leaks, as compared to Huggies daytime products.
- These diapers feature a wetness indicator for convenient and easy use.
- The diapers include secure side tabs to hold the waistband firmly but comfortably in place.
- This choice may sometimes leak, especially around the legs.
- Some customers find that this option runs too small for their babies, so sizing up is often recommended.
Option #4. Honest Overnight Baby Diapers
- Night Absorb Core: Super absorbent material to help keep your baby’s diaper dry all night with up to 12 hours of...
- Gentle Comfort Liner: Ultra soft-touch liner made without fragrances to be gentle on baby's sensitive skin and...
- Honestly Secure Fit: Soft, stretchy side panels, comfy elastic waistband, sure-fit leg cuffs and fastening tabs for...
These Honest Overnight Baby Diapers come in two different pattern options and in sizes 3 through 6. They are made without any latex, fragrances, or chemicals, and they are designed to keep babies dry for up to 12 hours. They include an absorbent core made of soft materials for comfort and efficiency.
- These diapers feature stretchy side panels for more convenient use and mobility for your baby.
- The core is made of plant-based fluff from sustainable sources.
- These diapers may be too thin for some overnight uses.
- Some customers feel these diapers have a strong, unpleasant odor when they arrive right out of the box.
Option #5. Pampers Swaddlers Overnights Disposable Baby Diapers
- Wrap&Protect leg barriers protect where leaks happen most
- Ultra-soft absorbent layers help keep baby's skin dry for up to 12 hours
- LockAway Channels lock wetness away for dry; healthy skin
These Pampers Swaddlers Overnights Disposable Baby Diapers come in sizes 3 through 6 and are soft enough to keep babies feeling comfortable and at ease all night long. They are built to withstand leaks for up to 12 hours and include a separate inner liner portion that holds messes away from your baby’s skin.
- These diapers include a wetness indicator for your convenience.
- The diapers are designed to keep your baby’s skin breathable all night long.
- Some customers feel these diapers are not thick or sturdy enough for overnight use.
- The diapers may be too small for some babies, so many customers recommend going a size up.
Option #6. Sposie Overnight Diaper Booster Pads
- MAKE ANY DIAPER AN OVERNIGHT DIAPER: The Sposie baby diaper boosters were designed to prevent leaks and absorb...
- HIGHLY ABSORBENT & SMOOTH SURFACE: All our baby diaper doublers feature a unique fluff-based construction that...
- PERFECTLY SAFE-THE BEST FOR YOUR FAMILY: Sposie sets a high standard when it comes to both safety and quality. All...
These Sposie Overnight Diaper Booster Pads are insert pads designed to go inside a diaper or pair of sleep pants. They add extra absorbency for nighttime use without having to purchase completely different diapers for your child, and they are soft enough that they won’t bother your child while using them, too.
- These pads are designed to fit with almost every size and style of diaper currently on the market.
- The pads can be used with both disposable diapers and cloth diapers.
- The pads do not have very strong adhesive backing.
- Some customers have trouble positioning these pads the first few times they use them.
Option #7. Bambo Nature Dreamy Night Pants
- Bambo Dreamy Night Pants are discreet, extra soft, and fully breathable
- Made with an ultra-absorbent core to keep your child dry throughout the night
- Features a wetness indicator and advanced odor control system
These Bambo Nature Dreamy Night Pants come in both medium and large sizes for toddlers and older kids who may still wet the bed. They have a wetness indicator as well as a built-in absorbency core just like diapers, but they are more discreet so older children won’t feel embarrassed using them.
- These are eco-friendly night pants that are certified as such.
- The night pants are hypoallergenic and are made free from harsh chemicals and other unpleasant ingredients.
- These night pants may cause more leaks than some other options on the market.
- Some customers report these night pants causing a rash, although this isn’t very common.
What Is An Overnight Diaper?
Overnight diapers have a capacity of 20 to 25% more than ordinary diapers. They’re a little bigger than regular diapers, but they don’t appear, fit, or feel any different.
How Do I Know If I Need An Overnight Diaper?
There are a variety of reasons why newborns get up frequently during the night, but one of the most common is being excessively wet. Wetness can wake up a baby who is otherwise comfortable. It’s almost as though newborns smell their parents’ anxiety over another restless night! Some infants can sleep through the night with ordinary diapers, so there’s no reason to change your regular diapers out if your baby is resting quietly. Sooner or later though, regular diapers probably won’t cut it for extended sleep stretches as your little one grows, so you’ll want to look into overnight solutions.
When Buying Overnight Diapers, Look for the Following Features
To avoid leaking, overnight diapers should be tightly fitted to your baby’s body. Boys and girls urinate in their diapers in various areas, and your child’s sleeping posture has an influence on where the diaper becomes wet. If your baby’s diaper is overly large, he or she may leak more throughout the night.
Overnight diapers are made to store more liquid for a longer amount of time than regular diapers. This is dependent on how much your child pees and how much sleep they get. If the leaking doesn’t stop, think about how often your kid drinks water before bed.
Overnight diapers cost a little more than regular diapers. To prevent wasting them throughout the day, try to use them exclusively at naptime or during the night. While purchasing in bulk might save money, try before purchasing a large quantity and keep in mind that your child will grow rapidly.
Cloth and bamboo, as well as wood pulp and synthetics, can be used to make overnight diapers. You’ll want to be sure that whatever materials or chemicals are present are safe for you and your baby.
As you can see, there are plenty of options to help you find the best overnight diapers for heavy wetters and other needs. No matter what your child’s age, you can find products that work for this purpose when you choose from the list above.
How do you know if your baby could benefit from overnight diapers? Here are some signs to look for:
- Does your baby wake up soaked every day? If so, overnight diapers may help.
- Do you have to change the sheets or crib cover almost every day because of your child’s bedwetting? Overnight diapers may be the solution.
- Is your child a toddler who is potty training but hasn’t yet gotten to the point of being able to go to the bathroom on their own during the night? Night pants are a great “big kid” version of overnight diapers for this situation.
- Have you noticed your child leaking out of their diaper during the daytime? If so, a daytime diaper likely won’t be enough for nighttime use.
By keeping this information in mind, you’ll know whether or not it’s time to buy overnight diapers for your child. If so, be sure to pick from our list of recommendations to bring home a high-quality diaper that is sure to help you and your baby in no time.
Last update on 2023-01-26 at 08:15 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.