Is it hard to find cloth diapers for newborns when shopping online?
What should you look for in the best cloth diapers for newborns?
What is the best newborn cloth diaper on Amazon?
Although cloth diapers may be harder to find in newborn sizes than in sizes for older babies, there are plenty of options online and on Amazon specifically. No matter what style or type of cloth diaper you might be looking for, you can easily find the perfect fit among the options available.
In this article, we’ll show you seven of our top picks for cloth diapers available in newborn sizes. Take your time looking through each one to figure out the right fit for you and your child’s needs.
Read on to find out more about the best cloth diapers for newborns:
- Our Top Pick: OsoCozy Unbleached Prefold Cloth Diapers
- Built-In Snap Adjustments: Blueberry Organic Newborn Simplex All in One Cloth Diapers
- Highly Absorbent: BumGenius All-In-One Newborn Cloth Diaper
- Umbilical Cord Care: Kanga Care Lil Joe Newborn All In One Cloth Diaper
Why Should I Consider Using Cloth Diapers?
Cloth diapers are washable, environmentally friendly, and cost-effective, especially when used for numerous children. Many parents are opting to use cloth diapers instead of or in addition to disposable diapers as a result of these concerns. While it doesn’t have to be an all-or-nothing situation, plan ahead of time and figure out which cloth diapers are best for your family, lifestyle, and money.
Are Cloth Diapers More Cost-Effective Than Regular Diapers?
Some parents doubt that cloth diapers save money in the long term, especially when considering some of the more expensive cloth diaper options. But the truth is that cloth diapers can be a far more cost-effective option than disposable diapers, even though that initial cloth diaper supply might become a big expense. You are investing in something that will not get tossed out with every use, so it is indeed the more practical choice.
The good thing is that in most cases, you’ll be able to utilize this initial investment for the duration of your child’s diapering—and you’ll be able to reuse them for your next child as well.
What Are The Different Types Of Cloth Diapers?
Cloth diapers come in a variety of styles, from ready-to-wear to ones that are one huge piece of cloth that must be folded and clipped. Choosing cloth diapers may be both thrilling and intimidating due to the variety. Here’s a breakdown of the many types:
AIO: Diaper changes using all-in-ones are seen to be the simplest and least-fussy choice. A fastener-free waterproof cover is stitched directly to an absorbent pad. When a baby soils an AIO, you take it all off and throw it in the washer. Sounds easy but keep in mind that they take the longest to dry.
Hybrid: All-in-twos are similar to AIOs in terms of simplicity and design, but they feature a detachable pad insert that can be washed or discarded. Parents have more options because the pads may be cleaned or thrown away. Hybrid coverings can be used several times before needing to be washed.
Pocket: These diapers have a waterproof shell and absorbent insert pockets on the inside. The option to modify the insert for different absorbency levels and put the insert where your little one needs it most are the key advantages of this type of diaper.
Fitted: These types are constructed completely of absorbent cloth and must be covered with a waterproof cover. The leg openings are elastic, and the waist is closed with snaps or Velcro tabs. They provide full-coverage absorbency on baby’s lower half, and the waterproof covering may be reused with a new diaper.
Flats: Flats are large rectangular pieces of cloth that have been folded, clipped, and coated with a waterproof shell (think dish towel size). They’re simple to clean, quick to dry, and inexpensive.
Our Choice Recommendation: OsoCozy Unbleached Prefold Cloth Diapers
- BEST NATURAL DIAPERS - The internet’s best-selling prefold cloth diaper has earned it’s place for good reasons...
- SIZED FOR INFANTS - OsoCozy Prefolds Unbleached Cloth Diapers, Size 1 fit infants from 7-15 lbs and are generally...
- HIGHLY ABSORBENT - OsoCozy Prefolds Unbleached Cloth Diapers are 4x8x4, with the middle panel having eight layers...
These OsoCozy Unbleached Prefold Cloth Diapers come in a pack of six and are available in a newborn size. They are designed to be used inside a diaper cover and feature eight layers of absorbent material. These convenient diapers are folded and ready for use or washing right out of the package.
- These diapers are made of 100% pure cotton and are not bleached.
- The diapers are very soft and safe for use on even the most sensitive of newborn skin.
- The diapers will shrink slightly with each wash and dry.
- Some customers have trouble with leaks when using these diapers.
Option #2. Blueberry Organic Newborn Simplex All in One Cloth Diapers
- Fits most babies from 6-16 lbs
- Inner lining made with 100% cotton
- Umbilical cord snap-down panel prevents diaper from irritating umbilical cord while it's healing
The Blueberry Organic Newborn Simplex All in One Cloth Diapers are made of natural cotton and feature a cute floral print in shades of pink and gray. The diaper includes snap closures that can be adjusted to a variety of baby sizes and weights, making this diaper capable of growing with your child as needed.
- The diaper features an inner cotton lining as well as an outer layer, making it a great all in one design.
- The diaper is designed to fit babies from 6 to 16 pounds with the help of the built-in snap adjustments.
- The liner portion of this diaper may be too stiff and uncomfortable for some babies.
- The diaper does not feature a double leg gusset and may leak around the legs.
Option #3. BumGenius All-In-One Newborn Cloth Diaper
- No stuffing, no diaper cover and no folding means that this is the easiest-to-use and quite possibly, the most...
- Easy to use closures are hook & loop, and the tabs have that stretch that you love in deluxe disposable diapers.
- The inner-core is ultra-absorbent, and the lining fabric keeps your baby's bottom dry.
The BumGenius All-In-One Newborn Cloth Diaper is available in eight different unique prints and styles so you can find the perfect fit for your child. The diaper features hook-and-loop closures that make it easy to adjust, remove, and put in place even on a wriggly older baby.
- These diapers feature durable elastic closures around the legs for leak protection.
- The diapers are highly absorbent and work well to hold in messes.
- It may not take long for babies to outgrow these diapers and need to size up.
- The diapers may be too high for umbilical cord needs in newborns.
Option #4. Naturally Nature Prefold Cloth Diapers
These Naturally Nature Prefold Cloth Diapers are available in either a pack of three or a pack of 12 to meet all your needs. They include bonus fasteners to make it easy to wrap them around your baby and secure them in place, and they can also double as burp cloths.
- These traditional-style cloth diapers with separate fasteners can be used for babies and toddlers of all ages and sizes.
- The diapers are pre-shrunk.
- The sizes on these diapers may run small for some babies.
- The diapers are not as absorbent as some of the others on this list.
Option #5. Kanga Care Lil Joey Newborn All In One Cloth Diaper
- Hypoallergenic & Waterproof
- Fits 4-12 pounds
- Snap down front for sensitive cord care
The Kanga Care Lil Joe Newborn All In One Cloth Diaper is made of soft and durable polyester material and features an adjustable snap closure. The legs and waist both include durable elastic, and the diaper is designed to fit babies from 4 to 12 pounds, making it an ideal solution for newborns and preemies. These diapers are waterproof and hypoallergenic as well.
- These diapers feature a snap-down front for easy care and attention to your newborn’s umbilical cord.
- The diaper comes in a surprising 34 colors and patterns to choose from.
- Sizes may run quite small with these diapers, so the newborn size may only work for a few weeks for some babies.
- The material may not wick away moisture very well on this diaper.
Option #6. Alvababy Baby Pocket Newborn Cloth Diapers
- FASION & STYLISH －Why not get these reusable, washable super-absorbent and comfortable cloth nappies / diapers,...
- HIGH QUALITY, ADJUSTABLE, REUSABLE & WATERPROOF －outer layer: polyester with waterproof and breathable TPU .It's...
- SAVE MONEY & ECO-FRIENDLY－Our reusable cloth diapers are designed for families who require premium products....
The Alvababy Baby Pocket Newborn Cloth Diapers come in four different color and pattern pack options and are available in a set of six. They feature all-over snap closures so you can easily adjust them depending on your baby’s individual needs, and they are waterproof and hypoallergenic in design.
- These diapers are designed for use by babies of up to 12 pounds.
- The inner layer of these diapers is made of suede cotton for comfort as well as skin sensitivity.
- The diapers may be too stiff for some babies.
- These diapers may leak more often around the legs than some others listed here.
Option #7. Humble Bebe Prefold Cloth Diapers
- PREMIUM UNBLEACHED COTTON - No unwanted or toxic chemicals touching your baby's precious skin, whether you use them...
- EXTRA ABSORBENT - 4x8x4 Layers of cotton ensure maximum absorbency, especially when compared to hemp or synthetic...
- SIZED FOR INFANTS AS WELL AS TODDLERS - Humble Bebe cloth diapers can be used with newborns (folded traditionally...
These Humble Bebe Prefold Cloth Diapers are traditional cloth diapers that can also be used as burp pads. They can be folded in the traditional style to work for newborns as well as older babies and toddlers. Best of all, these diapers do not contain any harsh chemicals and are unbleached for your baby’s safety.
- The diapers feature prefolds to make them easier for you to put them on your child.
- These are extra-absorbent diapers that work well on their own or as liners for diaper covers.
- The diapers may lose some cotton during the first few washes.
- Some customers dislike the off-white or beige color of this unbleached cotton.
Did you find the right cloth diapers for your newborn? If you choose from the list above, you’re sure to enjoy the results when diapering your baby.
Here are some pros of choosing cloth diapers for your newborn instead of disposable ones:
- Cloth diapers are great for babies with sensitive skin. They are hypoallergenic and much less likely to cause diaper rashes as well.
- Cloth diapers are great for the environment, too. Since you don’t end up throwing them away (or if you do, they last for a very long time first), you aren’t adding too much to landfills or increasing your household’s carbon footprint too much by using them.
- Cloth diapers are affordable and cost-effective over time. You don’t need to buy nearly as many cloth diapers as you do disposable ones during a baby’s diaper years.
And here are some cloth diaper cons to think about:
- Cloth diapers are much harder to clean than disposable ones. They require you to rinse them, flush any solid messes, and then wash them in the machine. They must then be hung to dry.
- Cloth diapers can be harder to put on and take off of an older baby with some mobility.
Take time to consider whether or not you think cloth diapers are right for your child. If so, pick your favorite from our recommendations for best results!
Last update on 2023-01-26 at 08:15 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.