***EDITOR'S NOTE: Be sure to check out our baby diaper giveaway sets for a diapers gift set for that next shower. Otherwise, please enjoy this post!
What is a four-wheeler diaper cake?
Are these good baby shower gifts?
What do you need to assemble in order to make one?
A four-wheeler diaper cake is a type of diaper cake that is designed to look like a four-wheeler or an ATV. These cakes are especially popular in more rural areas where families often own an ATV, but they can be just as popular among city-dwelling parents-to-be who are interested in outdoor activities.
If you know the mom-to-be or dad-to-be in your life loves exploring the outdoors or is a four-wheeler fan, then a four-wheeler diaper cake may be a great fit for a baby shower gift. This choice can also provide a fun and functional centerpiece that stands out among the rest of the baby shower décor, depending on how you choose to use it.
To make one of these cakes, you will need more items on hand than you might for other types of diaper cakes. Aside from the diapers and craft supplies, you’ll also need some cardboard paper towel rolls and several extra baby items for decorating and assembling your cake. You will also need an 8-inch cake pan.
When you have assembled everything you need, you can get started constructing. In the article below, we’ll show you the materials and equipment you need to gather to put your four-wheeler diaper cake together, and we’ll also walk you through all the steps you need to take to complete the project.
Although this isn’t a very challenging project, it can sometimes take a while to get the whole cake put together, so give yourself a few hours if this is your first time making a diaper cake like this. Be sure to have all your needed items on hand before you begin, too, so you won’t have to step away to gather something you forgot to grab ahead of time.
Read on to find out everything you need to know about how to make a 4 wheeler diaper cake.
Materials and Equipment Needed
- Disposable diapers (total of at least 46)
- Rubber bands
- Wide ribbon and thin ribbon in matching or complementary colors
- Receiving blanket
- Two empty cardboard paper towel rolls
- Baby washcloth
- Baby bottle
- Baby bath basket
- Baby socks
- Other decorative or useful baby items as needed
- 8-inch cake pan
1. Begin by making your wheels. You will need a total of 40 diapers to create all four wheels—10 diapers per wheel. Separate them into groups to make this step easier.
2. Use your 8-inch cake pan to arrange the diapers in a spiral, overlapping each other. When all 10 diapers for the first wheel have been arranged properly, slide them out of the cake pan and secure them with a rubber band.
3. Repeat the process for the remaining three wheels.
4. Wrap all four wheels in a length of wide ribbon per wheel and secure the ribbon with tape.
***GET INSPIRED: Find fantastic diapers gift ideas for that next shower in our top baby shower ideas for diaper gifts collection.
5. Set aside the four wheels you have just made and gather your two long paper towel rolls.
6. Roll four diapers into cylinders and secure each one individually with a rubber band. Place one of each of these four diapers into the ends of the two paper towel rolls.
7. Wrap one diaper around the middle of one of the paper towel rolls and secure with a rubber band. Repeat this process for the other paper towel roll.
8. Cover the rubber bands on these two diapers with a complementary ribbon color and secure with tape, taking care not to tape the diaper and only the ribbon.
9. Slide one wheel onto one end of a prepared paper towel roll. Repeat for the other three wheels and the other three ends of the paper towel rolls.
10. Use a strip of ribbon to tie the two axels together so that the wheels are secured together in one structure.
11. Roll the receiving blanket into a long, thin strip.
12. Wrap the rolled receiving blanket around the basket and tuck in the baby bottle to form the headlight. Secure the top of the blanket with a rubber band.
13. Roll the baby washcloth and wrap it around the rubber band on top of the blanket. Secure with tape.
14. Lay the bib on top of the basket and tuck the end flaps under the receiving blanket.
15. Place the prepared basket on top of the two axels holding your wheels together.
***NEED A GIFT BASKET? Get the best diapers gift basket for your next baby shower in our diapers giving baskets list.
16. Use a strip of thin ribbon to attach the basket to the axels by tying it in place.
17. Pull a pair of baby socks over the ends of the receiving blanket to form the “handles” of the four-wheeler.
18. Add any other decorative items you choose to use around the exterior of the diaper cake.
Did you find out everything you wanted to know about making a four-wheeler diaper cake? These diaper cakes can be a fun and whimsical addition to any baby shower. Although they’re often made for baby boys, there’s no reason why you can’t make one for baby girls or for a gender-neutral baby shower instead. Simply change the color from blue to pink, yellow, or green, and you’ll have the perfect alternative four-wheeler diaper cake for the adventurous parents in your life.
But what if you’re still not sure what you want to make for the mom-to-be? Here are some images to give you more inspiration for your four-wheeler diaper cake:
Option #1. Detailed Jeep:
This unique twist on the four-wheeler diaper cake includes extra pieces such as multiple blankets, pacifiers, toys and more. When combined, the result looks like an intricate and detailed Jeep ready for a brand-new baby.
Option #2. Jeep variant:
This version of the Jeep diaper cake is a little bit less detailed than the previous one, but it still provides a unique way to give a gift to any parent-to-be. This option is finished with a plush sock monkey as the “driver.”
Option #3. Overstuffed four-wheeler:
This version of the four-wheeler diaper cake is overstuffed with extra diapers on the wheels to make a Big Wheels style design. This offer doesn’t have a lot of extra features, so it’s easier to devote time and effort to creating the wheels.
Option #4. Monkey four-wheeler:
This variant of the four-wheeler diaper cake includes a cute plush monkey sitting in the driver’s seat. This choice features pale yellow, green, and muted brown colors, which makes it a good choice for a gender-neutral baby shower.
Option #5. Teddy bear four-wheeler:
This four-wheeler diaper cake has a teddy bear sitting on top of it and is made up of shades of brown and blue that complement each other.
As you can see, the options are really only limited by your imagination, and there’s nothing stopping you from exploring your options and trying out a variety of styles to find the right fit. When you put together a four-wheeler diaper cake for an outdoorsy mom or dad, you’re sure to enjoy the results when the parent-to-be sees this elaborate and functional present holding center stage among all the other gifts.
Keep these ideas in mind to help you find the perfect fit for your next baby shower!